Broken Treasures, Mended and Beautiful

The two teacups in this picture were a gift. The teacup on the left was given to me when I was around 7 years old by my Paternal Grandpa. The bottom of the cup is imprinted with  “Made in Occupied Japan.” The teacup on the right of the picture was given to me by my Aunt Kathryn many years ago. I have always treasured these teacups, but when they were given to me I never realized what a teacup would one day mean to me. When I moved into my present home, I packed these cups with much care in the same box, but as I unpacked them, I found they were both broken. They were the “only” things that were broken during the move to my new home...and I had a lot of “stuff”! When I found these two teacups had been broken, I was very upset as you can imagine.😧 It was surreal to me at the time that this was happening. I just had to put them back into the box and went about unpacking and putting everything else away. After awhile, I came across the box of broken teacups again so I got them out of the box, piece by piece, wondering if there was any way they could be salvaged. I bought some glue and started the process of trying to put them back together. As you can see in the picture, for the most part I was successful, except for a couple of places that are evident when you look at them closely. I was so happy to be able to display them again!

I have two books written by Emilie Barnes, Timeless Treasures and If Teacups Could Talk. When I read these books almost 20 years ago, I realized I needed to start making memories with my grandchildren. My granddaughter was around 4 years old at the time and my grandson was 7 years old. Emilie wrote about how she had a collection of teacups and when her grandchildren would come to her house, they chose their own teacup before they would sit down to Afternoon Tea. Emilie’s grandsons enjoyed tea as well as her granddaughters. I started my search for a teacup for Ashland because I wanted to give her a teacup to always remember me by just as my Grandpa had given me a teacup as a little girl. I was successful in finding the teacup but the purchase ended up being a complete tea set so that my daughter, granddaughter and I could have tea parties. 😉This was the beginning of my tea journey and our first tea party was on a beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon on my deck. My grandson soon was drawn into the tea party scene, but not quite so excitedly as my granddaughter! He did love the tea, only because it had a lot of milk and sugar. Of course the delicious scones and yummy Devonshire cream helped the cause as well.  Ashland is now 24 and Justin is 28, and they both love drinking tea, which makes me happy. Lauren, my other granddaughter  came along a few years later and she drank tea out of a china teacup when she was 1 year old and was very careful to hold the cup and learned very quickly to love tea as well. My grandchildren and I have made many memories having tea, not just at home but in tearooms when we traveled. Justin went along with it until he was about 15 and he was "done" with tearooms!😑 No more prissy tearooms for him! I am so thankful that I read these books because I would have missed many occasions to give my grandchildren something special to remember about their Maw Maw.

Emilie states in Timeless Treasures: “If your timeless treasure tells a story, each little crack and chip and worn spot becomes part of the ongoing tale. Those signs of aging are evidence of contact with real people and real lives. In place of that flawless, factory-bright finish, your timeless treasure will have the sheen of love and grace and character. Treat your beloved possessions as you would any beloved friend—keep them comfortable, give them a break from time to time, pick them up, use them if possible.”

Someone told me a story about a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer and didn’t have a favorable prognosis. The lady boxed up her everyday dishes and took them to the local thrift store. She came back home and got her mother’s china out and started using it everyday because her perspective on life changed in one doctor visit. The awesome part of this story is that two years later, she's doing great! I have decided to start using Mama’s china as well as my other china patterns more often than I have in the past because not one of us is guaranteed another day. I am in treatment for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma(Splenic Marginal Zone Lymphoma), and while I have not been given a prognosis so to speak, I want to enjoy everyday that I’m given.  I have not asked for a prognosis, because I am trusting God for my healing and believing that only He has control of that information. When I go to the cancer center for treatment, I get a dose of what “real life” for many people is though. There aren’t many of us who don’t have a friend or family member who hasn’t been touched by cancer, but until you go into that chemo room, and experience the suffering in that one room, you can’t grasp what it’s like.

I also have a devotional by Emilie Barnes, The Tea Lovers Devotional, and there is a story she was shared about her own journey through Leukemia treatments. She shared how each morning she was grateful for each new day and in the evening when she laid her head on her pillow how grateful she was to God and his goodness to her. I find that I treasure each day of my life more than ever before since being given a cancer diagnosis. I try to focus on the “blessings” of each day and to consciously be more grateful than ever before. Some days I can do that easier than others because all days are not the same. I think we take good health for granted most of the time, at least I did. But since finishing 6 weeks of Rituxin treatment and began to have more energy, it’s hard to gauge how much I can do in one day. I have to pace myself but even then sometimes go overboard and then find myself slammed on the couch for a couple of days to recoup! But I’m thankful to have that couch to lay on and am more thankful for small things these days, whether in nature or even listening to the rain falling.

So, use your good china, and if you don’t have any, go buy a beautiful teacup and teapot and make yourself a delightful cup of tea! I have several treasures in my home that have been broken and mended and they all have stories of how they got that way. Our “stuff” is just that…”stuff”! As the Bible says in Matthew 6:19 from The Passion Translation: “Don’t keep hoarding for yourselves earthly treasures that can be stolen by thieves. Material wealth eventually rusts, decays, and loses its value. Instead, stockpile heavenly treasures for yourselves that cannot be stolen and will never rust, decay, or lose their value. For your heart will always pursue what you value as your treasure.”  I have many teacups and teapots, but my treasure isn't found in them. My treasure is the pleasure they bring when I am able to make a pot of tea, and share a cup of tea, and my time with someone. 

I found a thank you card in one of my books today from someone I had cooked a birthday dinner for in 2003 and in that card the person had included this scripture verse from Galatians 5:13-14: “For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.”  

I believe as we love one another and serve one another in love, we are laying up treasures in heaven. My prayer is that one day soon I will be able to have a houseful of ladies, full of joyful conversation and enjoying many delightful cups of tea! I love being able to entertain and show hospitality to my family and friends. God has blessed me with that gift and I am very thankful. I am expecting that miracle!!


I thought I was finished with this blog post, but this morning I had an experience that I feel needs to be part of this post. Some things happened that caused anxiety for me this morning and I was “fretting” to the Lord about it. Sometimes I have to “fret” first!! I opened my new Passion Bible and went to the Psalms. I read Psalm 112 and it was as if God was speaking to me specifically concerning these things that were bothering me so much. I was sitting in a chair at my back door, in the sun, and decided to make a cup of tea to enjoy while I was reading. I sat my teacup down on the dining room table and continued to read. In a few minutes I reached for my teacup and my finger got hung in the handle spilling tea all over the tablecloth and my new Bible! I had to laugh aloud because I knew what was happening but I wasn’t receiving any of it! But I did tell satan…”you may think you are going to win this battle but I have news for you buddy…you have already been defeated!” As I picked up my NEW PINK BIBLE, I saw the corners of the pages were wet and I knew immediately that each time I pick this Bible up, I will always be reminded of October 25, 2017, when I opened my Bible to Psalm 112 and had total peace come into my dining room. Psalm 112:4 says: “Even if darkness overtakes them, sunrise-brilliance will come bursting through because they are gracious to others, so tender and true”, and vs. 6: “Their circumstances will never shake them and others will never forget their example.” This Psalm says much more... but I was shaken this morning, for a few minutes, but that too passed because of these words that I read! God is good and he is always faithful and his Word is alive and active. This is the second time I have had Psalm 112 to make my day. One morning a few years ago, I was preparing to read a poem I had written for my best friend Mary Nell Reavis at her funeral, God led me to this Psalm to read to the family. They were blessed that day, I saw it on their faces, and I have been blessed this morning! So, as I shared earlier in this blog post, broken treasures can still be beautiful when mended, even though I can’t mend the pages in my new Bible, I can always be reminded of how the Lord mended me on one cool, crisp October morning. Thank you Jesus!🙌

Life is a cup to be filled, not drained – Anonymous

I shall not pass this way again;
Then let me now relieve some pain,
Remove some barrier from the road,
Or brighten someone’s heavy load
    -  Evan Rose York


Gratefully Mended,

Kaye

Comments

  1. My "authur" friend, I really like your style of writing, there's a book in the making, keep writing. YES, one day, very soon we will gather at your beautiful home for tea and block the roads of the city of King again, as we celebrate life and friendship, catch up with one another's life AND Jesus' miracle working power anong us. I will bring the baklava and perhaps spanakopitakia. Oh, I will take the Silver Needles, please, thank you.😊💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Needles it is Chris!!! Thank you for your comments and I'm so glad it worked this time!!!

      Delete
  2. Kaye....this beautiful, it makes me stop & think & be grateful. ..I'm going to work on filling my cup...I wish you love , happiness, & healing on your journey. ..Hugs , Yvonne Hatch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I tried to respond last night and thought I was successful but it disappeared!! Thank you for your kind words and I'm so glad you enjoyed reading the blog!

      Delete
  3. Good read, Kaye, keep it up, a book is in the making for sure! Emily Barnes would also be very proud of you as are we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Christoulla! I always appreciate your comments!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts